Please see below for a compiled list of trans resources and information to help you navigate MIT. If you would like to add an MIT resource to the list please email us at


MIT can change an alum's name if there is a legal name change documentation.


The directory of restroom facilities is updated and maintained on the ICEO’s website. If you have any questions about all-gender restrooms, please email:

Diploma and Graduation

Changes to the way your first and middle names appear on your diploma can be made within the degree application without going through a legal name change by going to Registrar's website. You can also keep your legal name on your diploma but have your directory name read out loud at graduation.  To learn more about that please email are Philip Caudillo ( 

Directory Information

By default, the MIT directory publicly displays biographical information about students. You can opt out of the MIT Directory by filling out a form.

Gender Identity Initaitive (GII)

The Gender Identity Initiative (GII) aims to identify and implement changes to MIT systems that will improve inclusive representation of gender identities while protecting individual privacy, enabling greater autonomy, and meeting legal requirements. This includes legal sex, gender identity, name, and pronouns. If you have any questions or neeed need help please email


You can change your kerberos name through a directory name change or a legal name change. 

Legal Sex Marker Change

Students may change their legal sex through the Registrar's Office by filling out a form.

MIT Health

MIT Health has LBGTQ+ and trans specific support and resources.

MIT ID Cards

MIT ID Cards can use directory names for students and employees instead of legal names.

Name Changes (Legal or Directory)

Students can change their directory name as well as their legal name through Registrar.

Student Financial Services (SFS)

  • FAQ Page on directory and legal name usage

Student Housing

The MIT Housing Office currently handles student housing concerns around trans issues on a case-by-case basis. If you are a trans or questioning person who has housing concerns specific to your gender presentation or identity, you may make a special housing request directly to the housing office.

Swim Test

There is a swim test at MIT. If you have concerns about the swim requirement or questions about how the swim test can be accommodating and/or gender affirming in a safe and supportive way, you can directly reach out to:  


​Zoom Names

You can change your display name on Zoom through an administrative name change. Some students may still have trouble with their display name and might need to work with IS&T. You may do that by emailing IS&T directly and providing the following information:
  • Kerberos username 
  • Current display name as it appears on Zoom
  • Exact name you would like displayed