The Queer and Trans People of Color (QTPoC) page is to provide MIT students with the latest resources and programs throughout the year. This page will be updated regularly, so please take a look and browse through many of the QTPoC content.
LBGTQ+ and WoC Professional Development Funds for Undergraduate Students
We are pleased to announce the creation of two new Professional Development funds. This fund is in collaboration from WGS, OME, and LBGTQ+ brought on by WoC and LBGTQ+ students who had advocated for additional support from MIT.
QTPOC Virtual Programming
QTPoC is for queer and trans people of color to hang out with each other once a month, chat, watch movies, and have support. The first part of QTPoC is chilling online and talking and building community. How have you been? What have you been up to? Got anything you want to share? The second part of QTPoC might be a game, program, event. Feel free to join at any time and bring your friends! QTPoC is a space for LBGTQ+ students of color in the MIT community.
QTPoC Virtual Gatherings
- Date: December 6, 2021
- Time: 7:00pm - 9:00pm
- Location: https://mit.zoom.us/j/2258250310
A Individual or group will be highlighted based on their accomplishments and care for the LBGTQ community.
Monthly Book Recommendations
QTPoC authors will be the highlight in this section. Make sure to learn about them and read their work.
Check out LBGTQ+ Services online library for more QTPoC Books
Tags: HIV, Dating
Tags: Gender Queer, Poetry
Other QTPoC Resources or Programs
Cram Jam Sessions
Date: Monday - Thursday, December 13th-17th
- Time: 4:00 - 6:00pm
- Location: Rainbow Lounge (50-250)
Description: Finals are here and we invite you to jam while you cram for finals in the rainbow lounge to our queer playlist! Basic study essentials (i.e. paper, writing utensils, etc.) will be available, as well.
Winter Cookies & Card Drive
- Date: Friday, December 17th
- Time: 4:00 - 7:00 pm
- Location: Rainbow Lounge (50-250)
Description: Drop by the rainbow lounge to create some cards for LGBTQ+ youth at BAGLY that are experiencing homelessness and transitions. Also, decorate / enjoy some cookies, while you're here as a celebration of finals being over!
QTPoC's Single All The Way Viewing
- Date: Monday, December 6th
- Time: 7:00pm - 9:00pm
- Location: mit.zoom.us/j/2258250310
Description: Before finals kick off, let's kick back and watch "Single All The Way," a new Netflix film about Peter and his interesting visit home for the holidays. We also built in room to talk about our experiences related to going home for the holiday's, if you wish
BestColleges.com has curated a scholarship guide for the LGBTQ+ community. LGBTQ+ students face a variety of obstacles that includes lack of support from their families, high demands on their college expenses, and fears of selecting a gender while filling out FAFSA.
To learn more and see a list of scholarships, click this link: https://www.bestcolleges.com/financial-aid/lgbtq-scholarships/
Please note: All links posted below are external websites and may become outdated or nonfunctional. We will do our best to update them once a semester. If you see any links out of date, please let us know: email@example.com
- API Equality - LA https://apiequalityla.org
- Black Trans Advocacy Coalition https://blacktrans.org
- Coming Home to Islam and to Self https://www.hrc.org/resources/coming-home-to-islam-and-to-self
- Desi LGBTQ+ Helpline for South Asians http://deqh.org
- Familia: Trans Queer Liberation Movement https://familiatqlm.org/
- First Nations Two Spirit Collective http://unya.bc.ca/programs/2-spirit-collective/
- Galaei https://www.galaei.org/
- Gaysi (The Gay Desi Blog) https://gaysifamily.com/
- Human Resource Campaign https://www.hrc.org/
- Immigration Equality https://immigrationequality.org/
- Muslims for Progressive Values http://mpvusa.org
- National Black Justice Coalition https://nbjc.org/
- National Center for Black Equity http://centerforblackequity.org
- National Queer and Trans Therapists of Color Network https://www.nqttcn.com/
- NQAPIA (National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance) http://www.nqapia.org/wpp/home/
- Queer Women of Color Media Project http://qwocmap.org
- Rest for Resistance https://restforresistance.com/read
- Somos Familia https://www.somosfamiliabay.org/resources/
- The Visibility Project http://www.visibilityproject.org/
- Therapy for QTPOC https://therapyforqpoc.com/
- TransLatin@ Coalition https://www.translatinacoalition.org/about-tlc/
- United We Dream https://unitedwedream.org/
- Unity Coalition https://www.unitycoalition.org/
Are you an MIT student group seeking funding for an LBGTQ+ centered project, event, or leadership opportunity through LGBTQ+ services? Use this form to apply for funds. The LBGTQ+ Services team will review all applications and then get back to you about funding and possible next steps. If you are a graduate student group and have questions, please email Nina Foushee firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an undergraduate student group, please email Robert Hines at email@example.com.
- Bay Area American Indian Two-Spirits: Two-Spirit Powwow
- Bay Area American Indian Two-Spirits (BAAITS) exists to restore and recover the role of Two-Spirit people within the American Indian/First Nations community by creating a forum for the spiritual, cultural and artistic expression of Two-Spirit people. This conference has passed but it happens annually with future dates announced in 2022. Learn more about it here: https://www.baaits.org/
- National LGBTQ Task Force: Creating Change
- The National LGBTQ Task Force has brought you Creating Change, the largest LGBTQ activist conference in the country. Every year, thousands of people from across the country come together to learn, connect, and resist. At Creating Change we sharpen our minds with skills and knowledge, fill our hearts with love and joy, and deepen our commitment to freedom, justice and equity for all LGBTQ people. This conference has passed but it happens annually with future dates announced in 2022. Learn more about it here: https://www.thetaskforce.org/creatingchange.html
- NSLDC Pride: LGBTQA+ Student leadership Conference
- NSLDC Pride is a national leadership experience dedicated to empowering and educating LGBTQA+ student leaders to create change on their campuses and in their communities. The virtual conference is October 23, 2021. Learn more about it here: http://nsldcpride.org/
- The University of Oklahoma Outreach: National Conference on Race and Ethnicity
- The NCORE conference series constitutes the leading and most comprehensive national forum on issues of race and ethnicity in American higher education. The conference focuses on the complex task of creating and sustaining comprehensive institutional change designed to improve racial and ethnic relations on campus and to expand opportunities for educational access and success by culturally diverse, traditionally underrepresented populations. Future dates are to be announced. Learn more about it here: https://www.ncore.ou.edu/en
- UW-Madison and Edgewood College: Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Asexual College Conference
- Planned and organized entirely by students—a tradition that proudly continues today—what would later become the Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Asexual College Conference emerged in the early 1990s as an answer to the question of how to connect, educate, and empower queer students throughout the region. The theme of the conference is From Protest and Beyond Pride The conference is October 8, 2021 to October 10, 2021. Learn more about it here:https://mblgtacc.org/2021
If there are any questions or if you would like to share any QTPoC resources and have them posted on this page, please email LBGTQ+ Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, sign up for the QTPoC listserv (Lazo@mit.edu) in Stay Connected Tab, so you do not miss out on great opportunities.